Purdue Entomology Centennial Celebration begins soon. Have you made you plans to participate in this once in a lifetime event? We have a number of activities where you can participate including:
Centennial Lecture Series – Featuring nationally acclaimed scientists, distinguished alumni, and some special stakeholder partners. These presentations will be every Thursday afternoon during the academic year beginning August 23rd through May 2nd.
Fall Centennial Celebration – A weekend homecoming celebration featuring selected tours and visits, the annual J.V. Osmun distinguished alumni award ceremony, a Special Collections Exhibit opening and reception, a Centennial Gala banquet, and Entomology tailgate.
Centennial Events Map – You can download a map of our Centennial events here.
• Visits, tours and “back to the classroom” presentations in the morning
• Osmun lecture and award ceremony in the afternoon. This ceremony will take place in the Special Collections Library that will feature an exhibit on the first 50 years of Entomology at Purdue commissioned by the department.
• Centennial Gala banquet in the evening. This event will take place in the foyer of the new Marriott building across the street from Smith Hall. The program includes a pre-dinner mixer followed by a banquet dinner and entertainment program organized by a talented group of alumni and friends.
• Entomology tailgate outside of Smith Hall
• Purdue vs Wisconsin football game for those who buy tickets.
Buying Football Tickets
1. Go to http://www.purduesports.com
2. Place cursor over “Tickets” then click on “Buy Tickets” in the drop down menu
3. Click “Promotions” in the left menu
4. Enter the group code 100YEARS
5. Continue through the prompts to complete the sale.
Special Exhibits – The fall exhibit will feature the “First 50 Years of Entomology at Purdue” and be on display in the Special Collections Library; the spring exhibit will include insect drawings by Arwin Provonsha, insect cartoons, student insect art, and insect photography on display in the University Art Gallery.
2012 ESA Symposium and Centennial Reception –Tom Turpin has organized a symposium titled “Purdue’s Contributions to ESA and Entomology: 100 Year Perspective” for this year’s ESA annual meeting in Knoxville, TN. The symposium will feature seminal contributions by Purdue as told by alumni followed by a special reception on Tuesday, November 13th.
Click on this link for complete symposium information: ESA Speakers.
A “Bug Bowl” Centennial Celebration – Will feature the annual Bug Bowl extravaganza, an insect art exhibit, and selected tours and visits with a Centennial cookout headlining the weekend. This event will takes place as part of SpringFest on April 13th to 14th, 2013.
The Insect Play – A play by the brothers Josef and Karel Capek will be performed by a Purdue Theatre troop in the spring of 2013.
Centennial Memorabilia – The department has identified a number of memorabilia items that students, staff and alumni may be interested in purchasing in bulk to reduce costs. The items include:
• Women’s polo shirts
• Men’s polo shirts
• Centennial paper weight
• Tumbler glasses with the centennial logo etched on side
• Glass window decoration with the centennial logo etched on side
“Fascination with Insects” – A life size sculptor of an entomologist with a net sharing his/her enthusiasm for insects with children will be commissioned for future siting near old Entomology Hall and serve as a legacy of our Centennial Celebration.